Who is This Course For?
The ‘Effective Disciplinary’ course is aimed at members of the Team who have responsibility for performance management of staff, including seniors, deputies and managers.
The course sets out the purpose of the process, the rights of employees, and the responsibilities of employers under the various legislative requirements. It provides information about conducting a successful disciplinary by establishing accurate, detailed recordkeeping, and following company policies to reach a successful and fair outcome. It enables delegates to build confidence and competence in carrying out the process, through practical interventions carried out in a safe environment.
The aims of the ‘Holding a Disciplinary’ course are to:
- Explain the stages of a disciplinary process, and the purpose of each stage;
- Examine legislative obligations and how this fits into company policy;
- Investigate what constitutes proof, and the need for accurate, detailed record keeping;
- Explain the responsibilities of the employer within the law;
- Examine the rights of the employee within the law;
- Understand the stages of an investigation;
- Review communication, listening and questioning techniques;
- Understand how to deal with witnesses and witness statements;
- Understand how to prepare for and conduct the hearing;
- Explain how to write a report and present findings;
- Examine types of evidence and the mitigating factors to consider;
- Review the decision making process and examine how to reach a decision;
- Consider potential pitfalls, and the risk of conducting a poor disciplinary process;
- Explain the appeal process and the importance of timelines and outcomes.