Who is This Course For?
The‘Hoarding Behaviour’ course is aimed at members of the team who care for and support Service Users who have a tendency to exhibit this type of behaviour.
Thecourse will help team members to understand the concept of hoarding and associated behaviour, the difference between hoarders and collectors, and to understand why people Hoard. It looks at strategies to enablehoarders to declutter, while being mindful of the hoarder’s freedom to live a life of their choosing, and adhering to the legal obligation of the Care Act 2014.
The aims of the course are to:
- Understand Hoarding behaviour;
- Enable a delegate to understand the difference between hoarding and collecting, and how to assess whether the service user is a hoarder or a collector;
- Understand what causes hoarding behaviour, and the types of conditions that are prevalent in this type of behaviour;
- Understand the effects of hoarding behaviour on the quality of their life and wellbeing of a Service User, and the impact on other people;
- Enable a delegate to assess whether the behaviour is causing harm to the hoarder orto others who share the service;
- Develop strategies to support the service user to declutter; including building trust, and respecting the person’s belongings, understanding their predicament, and being mindful of their rights to live a fulfilled life of their choosing;
- Develop the use of person centred thinking strategies and effective communication to better engage with the Service User;
- Understand the Care Act 2014 and the duty of care to the Service Users.